Wednesday, October 14, 2009

7 Years Ago Today


7 years ago today (October 14, 2002) I woke up in a hospital. I had an oxygen tube up my nose (that was irritatring the living hell out of my sinuses and throat), inflatable compression stockings on that hurt each time they inflated, an IV in my arm pumpin in all kinds of meds, a catheter jammed up my "man parts" and one incredibly deep and throbbing pain in my lower back. I was not a happy camper. Freaking tubes and cords everywhere, an anesthesia fog/hangover with a boatload of pain just to round it out. I believe my first words (at least the first ones I was cognizant of) were, "how's Tim"? I was told he made it through fine. Not sure if I physically smiled at this news but I was smiling inside anyway. Tim is my little bro and he now had my left kidney "inserted" into him just below his belly button.
I typically don't mention this to alot of people because, while it's hard to explain, it is kind of a personal sort of thing. I figured I would "mention" it here because probably most of you know me and I want to (1) show you that a kidney donor can lead a normal lifestyle (note the beer in my hand and they fact I'm racing a bike in the previous post) and (2) to ask you to consider getting your name on the donor registry. Online info can be found at the following link:
So yes, that is a kidney pic (not mine) above. And yes, it is true that (in a highly medicated state ) I got frustrated with my mom asking about the catheter and just whipped open the covers to show her much to her surprise. And yes, of course, the cutest nurse in the place ended up being the one to remove the catheter.

No comments: